martes, 13 de marzo de 2007

11-13 Marzo, de Puerto Montt a Chiloé, Chile

From Ushuaia I flew to Puerto Montt, Chile. Puerto Montt is basically a Port and a quite ugly city, but I dont know why but I liked it. Is the first time on the trip I found a dangerous city, lot of drunks, drugs and prostitutes. The center is awful, but the part behind the bus station (the dangerous part) is nice, there are all these colourful old houses, falling down but with charm. My Hostel was somewhere there, and well, I was lucky and I had no problems. This area reminded me a bit to Valparaiaso but bit poorer.
I stayed in Puerto Montt two nights. I went to Angelmo, the port, where you can eat fresh fish. Quite nice but I found it a bit expensive for what it was. I ate the typical dish: "Locos". Was ok, not amazing. On the afternoon I was bored and I decided to go to the cinema. That was like feeling at home!
Yesterday I took the first bus in the morning and I crossed to the island of Chiloé, and went straight to the capital, Castro. The city is nice but small, and after 2 hours I already saw everything. The "palafitos", houses over the river, the cathedral all in wood... I ate here "Curantos" typical dish from Chiloé: sea food and meat! The plate was huge and was really worth it. Never seen musles so big!
Chiloé is nice, and as Jose already told me, reminds me a bit to Galicia, in Spain. Same kind of landscape, I suppose because the weather is similar and here rains a lot too.
I just realized that the trip I wanted to do the following 10 days is not worth it. Only if you have a car and you can stop wherever you want and when you want. Doing it alone by bus is not as nice and then I get stuck in small villages for a whole day, so I have decided to change my programme, and I'm heading to Santiago sooner than expected. So then I will join Javi, Eva and her uncles for a weekend to Mendoza, Argentina.
Before that I wanted to see pinguins so I have arrived to Ancud, in Chiloé where there are some pinguin colonies. I have a tour in an hour and after that I will take a 17 hour bus to Santiago.... boring....
Chiloé has surprised me as I have seen some contemporary architecture. Not very good but interesting. Now that I´m here I regret a bit for not compiling some information referent to Mathias Klotz, a good chilean architect that has some amazing houses over here. maybe is something to explore on my extra days in Santiago....

No hay comentarios: